A Family Foundation focused in addressing the critical issues impacting our world is searching for an Associate Program Officer with a life science background to join their growing organization.
The Foundation’s five areas of focus—science innovation, environmental sustainability, the performing arts, migration and immigrant communities, and Jewish life.
The Foundation is seeking an Associate Program Officer (APO) to support the Science Innovation Pillar. The Foundation’s Science Innovation Pillar focuses on diversifying the bench to bedside, idea to impact pipeline and elevating the Chicago region’s scientific contributions to the world. We aim to differentiate Chicago’s growth as a life science cluster through purpose-inspired, science innovation equity focused research and product development.
The APO will have a PhD and be an important member of the Science Innovation Pillar. Reporting directly to the Senior Program Director of Science Innovation, the APO will support the Science Innovation Pillar and Senior Program Director in all aspects of grantmaking, including due diligence, communications, and reviewing and managing grants. This position also requires significant research and writing, as well as the ability to coordinate, analyze, and refine activities, projects, and prepare recommendations to further the Foundation’s objectives and to cultivate grantee relationships.
BIPOC applicants strongly encouraged to apply.
The specific duties and responsibilities of this position include the following:
- Support the Science Innovation Pillar and Senior Program Director in managing grant applications, grants, and relationships with grantees.
- Research and present funding opportunities and recommendations that align with the strategy and priorities of the Science Innovation Program.
- Provide technical review, document preparation and shaping of grant proposals.
- In partnership with other entities, develop and maintain relationships with life science entrepreneurs, high-potential startups, science liaisons and more in support of the Foundation’s Science Innovation funding objectives and investments.
- Conduct due diligence on prospective grantees or initiatives, including planning and conducting site visits, reviewing of financial materials, and analyzing program impact.
- Review and prepare recommendations, summaries and analyses of grant proposals and grantee progress reports.
- Manage day-to-day communications with grantees as needed.
- Draft invitations for submission of proposals.
- Assist the Senior Program Director in producing analyses and presentations regarding program objectives and accomplishments, as well as trends and opportunities in the program’s giving priorities.
- Schedule and plan agendas for program meetings.
- Provide coordination support for internal and external convenings, events, site visits, focus groups, etc.
- Develop website and social media content for review by supervisor and use by the Communications team.
Skills & Characteristics:
- Domestic and/or international travel may be required (when safe to do so).
- PhD degree in life sciences or relevant field required. 1+ years of experience in life science or relevant field.
- Master’s Degree in life science considered with additional 5 years of science related experience in industry or academia.
- Understanding of issues related to the Chicago Scientific community.
- Passion for social impact and the Foundation’s mission and areas of interest.
- Strong Desire to work in philanthropy.
- Non-profit or philanthropic experience preferred.
- Knowledge, interest or experience in the scientific start-up and science entrepreneurial space is a plus.
Compensation & Benefits:
- Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills with the ability and desire to contribute to building an impactful grantmaking organization.
- Strong oral and written communication skills.
- Excellent interpersonal skills with comfort being in a community-facing role.
- Exhibits a high degree of discretion dealing with confidential information.
- Strong ethical grounding and professional judgement.
- Adaptable and flexible with high emotional intelligence and a positive attitude.
- Excellent organizational skills, strict attention to detail and accuracy.
- Enjoys working in a highly collaborative team environment but is also able to work independently and take initiative.
- Ability to multi-task, prioritize work assignments, and manage projects in a fast-paced work environment.
- Commitment to producing high-quality work and accountability for timely and effective results.
The Foundation offers an excellent benefits package that includes health, vision, dental, 401k, disability and life insurance. Salary is competitive and commensurate with experience.